Benefits Provisions

Pitt offers health and wellness plans, retirement savings plans, and COBRA coverage for faculty and staff, including step-by-step instructions on how to make changes to current Benefits coverage. Visit the Benefits Provisions page for plan summaries and additional information.

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) & Privacy Notice

In accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, a group health plan such as the University's group health plan must give plan participants notice of their rights and the plan's legal duties with respect to protected health information (PHI) and how the plan may use and disclose PHI. At this time, we would like to remind you that you have a right to receive a copy of the privacy notice.

The plan also is required to protect PHI in electronic form (EPHI). The University has implemented reasonable and appropriate safeguards to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of PHI and EPHI that it creates, receives, maintains, or transmits on behalf of the plan.

Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA)

CHIPRA requires employers offering group health plans to notify employees of their potential rights to receive premium assistance under a state’s Medicaid or CHIP program. CHIPRA has two additional different rules that could benefit certain employees of the University. First, CHIPRA includes a new premium assistance program for participants who are eligible for a Medicaid or a state CHIP program. If you are such an individual and you are eligible for health coverage from the University but are unable to afford the premiums, the state CHIP program may help you pay for coverage under the University health plans. If you or your dependents are already enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, you can contact your state Medicaid or CHIP office to find out if premium assistance is available. Second, CHIPRA has included two new Qualified Status Change events. The Qualified Status Change events occur either when an eligible employee’s enrollment ends in Medicaid or a state’s CHIP program or when an eligible employee becomes eligible for the premium subsidy and can then enroll in the University’s coverage. If either of those two events occur, the employee must request coverage from the University within 60 days of the event. For more information, please review the CHIPRA notice.

Healthcare Reform Notice / Marketplace Notice

On March 23, 2010 the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) was signed into law by President Obama. Effective October 1, 2013, the health care exchanges, known as the Health Insurance Marketplace became available to U.S. citizens. The formation of the Health Insurance Marketplace established certain responsibilities and legal mandates for employers like the University (Employer Mandate) and Individuals (Individual Mandate). The University’s medical/health insurance programs are in compliance with the legislation. Review the Marketplace Notice.

Find the official healthcare Reform Notice that was created by the federal government to be distributed to members of the University community announcing the availability of healthcare exchanges, now known as the Health Insurance Marketplace.

Summary of Benefits and Coverage

The University is required under the Health Care Reform Act to provide you with a Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC), an easy-to-understand summary about the health plan’s benefits and coverage. Find an SBC for each of the University's available medical plans and a glossary of health and medical terms.

Special Enrollment Notice (Qualified Status Change)

If you are declining enrollment for yourself or your dependents (including your spouse) because of other health insurance or group health plan coverage, you may be able to enroll yourself and your dependents in this plan if you or your dependents lose eligibility for that other coverage (or if the employer stops contributing toward your or your dependents’ other coverage). However, you must request enrollment within 60 days after your or your dependents’ other coverage ends (or after the employer stops contributing toward the other coverage).

In addition, if you have a new dependent as a result of marriage, birth, adoption, or placement for adoption, you may be able to enroll yourself and your dependents. However, you must request enrollment within 60 days after the marriage, birth, adoption, or placement for adoption.

The plan will also allow a special enrollment opportunity if you or your eligible dependents either lose Medicaid or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) coverage because you are no longer eligible, or become eligible for a state’s premium assistance program under Medicaid or CHIP. For these enrollment opportunities, you will have 60 days from the date of the Medicaid/CHIP eligibility change to request enrollment in the plan.

To request special enrollment or obtain more information, visit the Qualified Status Changes page or contact the Benefits Department.

Additional Medical Plan Notices