Student Employment Onboarding

Congratulations on being offered your student worker job at Pitt! We’re glad to have you on the team. Before you get started, there are a few things you’ll have to do to formally accept the role and complete your onboarding. 

Onboarding Process

Accept the Role 

If you are selected for a position, you will receive a phone call from the department making you a formal offer. If you verbally accept the offer, you will then receive the job offer via email (from Talent Center), which you will also need to accept. 

Once the offer is accepted in Talent Center, there are several forms and tasks that you’ll need to complete before you can start your new role. If the pre-hire tasks (onboarding) are not completed, you will not be able to start work. 

Additional Notes for Foreign Nationals 

  • You are not required to have a Social Security Number (SSN) at the time you accept an e-offer; OHR will assign you a temporary SSN after you accept the e-offer. 
  • Please note that all foreign national SSNs are reviewed and you will not receive your onboarding information until the Office of Student Employment completes this task. 
  • You can apply for a Social Security card after accepting the e-offer and then submit a copy of your receipt to the Payroll Department
  • You can use your offer letter as proof of employment. 
  • Once you receive your social security card, please submit a copy to the Payroll department. 
  • More information via the Payroll Department's website

Forms and Tasks 

You will receive emails for the pre-hire tasks and should complete them as soon as possible: 

  • The Form I-9 is completed in two parts: Section 1 is an online form you'll need to complete first. Section 2 is completed in-person at our office on the first floor of Craig Hall. You will need to bring your original versions of acceptable documentation. Please review the list carefully to ensure you are bringing the correct documentation. 
    • For more information or to schedule an appointment to complete Section 2 of the Form I-9, please visit this page of the OHR website
    • Completing this task in a timely manner is critical to your onboarding; it must be completed within three days of your start date. 
  • If you have difficulties accessing the pre-hire tasks via email, login directly to Talent Center to complete them. 
    • Talent Center will guide you through the process of any forms that need to be completed. Just follow the instructions and you should be set! 

Clearances and Training for Students 

Some student positions may require Child Protection Clearances. If necessary for the position, student workers must obtain their required clearances prior to starting employment at Pitt. Student workers will not be able to begin employment until the clearances are obtained and approved by the University. Training programs may also be required and can be found on the Clearances & Training page, as well as within your Pitt portal. Student workers should work with their recruiter to determine which trainings they will need to complete. 


Congratulations! Once all onboarding is complete and your scheduled start date has arrived, you can start in your new role. 

For any specific questions about your role, please reach out to your contact from the department you’ll be working with. 

Important Resources 

How to Submit a Time Card 

Student workers will utilize Pitt Worx, the University's human resources and payroll system, to submit timecards, review pay statements, review or edit tax information, and update personal information as it relates to your role as a student worker at the University. Learn how to navigate Pitt Worx as a student worker. We recommend that you review this before you start your job so you are ready for your first day. 

Pay & Taxes 

Students are paid on a biweekly basis via direct deposit. The amount you are paid is based upon the hours submitted through your timecard. Taxes will be taken out from your paycheck based on selections you made on your Form I-9. To learn more about your pay and taxes, please visit the Payroll Website.