The University of Pittsburgh uses an automated service called The Work Number (Equifax) to securely provide employment and income verification to verifiers such as lenders, property managers, and other employers that you authorize to have that information.
The Work Number can provide the following information, which is updated on a weekly basis:
- Most recent hire date
- Separation date
- Total time with the University
- Current or former job title
- Rate of pay
- Gross earnings for the current year and up to two years past (including base pay, overtime, and other compensation)
- Verifiers will not see rate of pay or earnings information without explicit employee authorization
Both current and former employees can use The Work Number to access employment and income verification information.
Logging In and Accessing The Work Number
Some recent changes to the login process were made to The Work Number. Please carefully review the information based on your status as a first-time or returning user.
If you have never logged into The Work Number before, please follow these steps to create a new account:
- Visit The Work Number and select the Log In dropdown menu/button.
- Select Verify My Data.
- Enter employer code 14726 to search for the University of Pittsburgh.
- First-time users must select "Forgot User ID?" on the login page.
- Users will be prompted to enter personal information to verify the account they are attempting to access and validate identity.
- Please use the phone number and email address associated with your University account.
- You will need to select a verification challenge and enter the one-time passcode that is sent to you.
- Verification challenges may be via email, phone, or text; passcodes are sent in real time, so please enter it immediately into the application without exiting the login session or closing your browser.
- If The Work Number is unable to send you a one-time passcode, you may be sent a passcode via mail. You will have 12 days from the date of mailing to receive the passcode and enter it into the system.
- If you cannot receive a one-time passcode, you may be prompted to contact a University representative to help verify your iddentity and gain access to the application.
- After passing the verification challenge, you will be prompted to create a personalized username and password. You will use this new username and password for all subsequent logins.
If you have recently logged into The Work Number, you will log in as usual with your same username and password. Once logged in, you will be prompted to create a personalized User ID. You will use that new User ID for all subsequent logins.
If you have difficulties logging in with your username and password, select "Forgot User ID?" on the login page and follow the directions listed on this page for First-Time Users.
If you are a returning user that has not logged into The Work Number for awhile, you may be required to complete the verification challenge. Other reasons you may need to complete the verification challenge as a returning user include if you select "Forgot User ID?" or "Forgot Password?" when logging in or if The Work Number requires additional information to be used during the identity verification process.
If you have additional questions about employment verification, please contact OHR by submitting an online inquiry.
Questions can also be directed to The Work Number by calling 1-800-367-5690.