The following job types at the University of Pittsburgh are officially granted retiree status if they fulfill the eligibility criteria as stated below.
You were employed in a job type and status including:
- Full-time faculty
- Part-time faculty in the tenure stream or tenured for no less than half time
- Full-time librarian
- Full-time research associate
- Regular, full-time staff employee, except for those who have benefits covered by a separate collective bargaining agreement
You must also fulfill one of the following criteria:
- Recognized Pitt start date prior to July 1, 2004: must be age 62 years or older on last day of work
- Recognized Pitt start date on or after July 1, 2004: must be a minimum of age 62 years on last day of work with age plus service (associated with recognized Pitt start date) equal to 85 or greater
All determinations of service credit shall be based solely on the recognized dates in the University's Employee Records. The plan administrator, in its sole discretion, has the authority to make all determinations regarding whether you have met the age, service, job classification, or other eligibility requirements. Separate criteria exists for each University benefit. Eligibility for each benefit plan is mutually exclusive.
Spouse and Domestic Partner Eligibility
Your eligible spouse is the person to whom you are married at the date of retirement. This means that if you marry or remarry after retirement, that spouse is not covered by the program.
Your eligible domestic partner is the person for whom an approved affidavit is on record at the University as the partner of record at the time of retirement. As above, the same concept applies, if you register a domestic partner after you retire, that person is not covered by the program.
Retirement Eligibility/Defined Dollar Benefit Calculator
The Defined Dollar Benefit calculator may be used to determine your eligibility date for the Defined Dollar Benefit (DDB) Program. Eligible faculty and staff hired prior to July 1, 2004 must be at least 62 years of age. Faculty and staff hired on or after July 1, 2004 must have their age and service equal 85 to qualify for this program. Learn more about the DDB Program.