Students and their eligible family members are offered student medical insurance options underwritten by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health Plan.
The University of Pittsburgh makes insurance programs available to:
- All graduate students
- All full-time undergraduate students
You have the option of enrolling in the University sponsored programs or electing any coverage that you may be able to obtain on your own.
These affordable plans offer benefits including:
- Coverage for all types of illnesses and injuries, including sports and exercise injuries, whether or not incurred “in-areas” or “out-of-area” while traveling or during extended off-campus periods.
- Preventative care, along with resources for full scale online health promotion.
Please carefully review your current coverage to determine if it is suitable on campus. If you are a dependent student who is under a parent’s coverage, please review that policy for geographic and/or age limitations. Some policies restrict out-of-area coverage to just emergencies.
The programs are competitively priced based on the University’s group claim’s experience. All medical programs are compliant with the provisions of the federal government’s health care reform legislation.
All medical plans feature:
- Preventive services with no out-of-pocket costs
- A broad range of services that have a flat co-payment at the point of service
- Prescription drug coverage
Details of each plan’s coverages may be found by clicking on the menu items on the right side of this page.
Enrollment in coverage is handled through an online service provided by EBenefits, a Division of UPMC Health Plan.
Options are also available to elect dental and vision coverages.
Student Health Services
Medical professionals are available to provide high-quality student health services on campus. They generally offer routine primary care type services that provide care and treatment of minor illnesses and injuries. When the needed care is more extensive, it is important to have medical insurance coverage that provides access to specialists and other inpatient and outpatient services. Please refer to the Student Health Services Website for further details.