As the University continues to review current circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic the Office of Human Resources is implementing a temporary voluntary effort reduction program to provide further flexibility for our staff during this emergency period.
The voluntary effort reduction program allows employees to voluntarily reduce their effort effective May 1, 2020, until further notice. Through this program, employees have the option to request a reduction in working hours with a corresponding reduction in salary for family care or other personal or family needs. Eligible employees include all full-time exempt and non-exempt staff, except for staff covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
To request a voluntary effort reduction:
- An employee must first request and discuss a reduction in effort with their supervisor.
- If request is granted, the employee and supervisor must complete and submit the voluntary effort reduction form (download from SharePoint via PItt Passport). The form can be submitted by first contacting HR Shared Services (HRSS) through the online OHR web form.
- The supervisor or RC head advises the employee of the impact to their pay and benefits before initiating the ER action.
- Please note that during the COVID-19 pandemic, all ERs must be submitted online. Visit the COVID-19 Resources for Managers SharePoint site (via Pitt Passport) for details.
- Once the ER is received, the RC head or supervisor will be notified by HRSS.
- If a request is denied, the supervisor will notify the employee.
Learn more about the voluntary effort reduction program, including processing and frequently asked questions. (via Pitt Passport)
If you have any questions, please submit a request via the online OHR web form.