Summary of Benefits and Coverage/Uniform Glossary
The University is required under the Health Care Reform Act to provide you with a Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC), an easy-to-understand summary about the health plan’s benefits and coverage.
Healthcare Reform Notice
The official Healthcare Reform Notice that was created by the federal government to be distributed to members of the University community announcing the availability of healthcare exchanges, now known as the Health Insurance Marketplace, was distributed to the University community on September 26, 2013.
Medical Plan Notices
- Women's Health Care
- Women's Health and Cancer Rights Acts
- Assisted Fertilization
- Behavioral Health Care
- Emergency Services
- Newborns’ and Mothers’ Health Protection Act
- Qualified Medical Child Support Orders
- Personal Health Information
- Military Leave under USERRA and NDAA
- Claims Review and Appeal Procedures
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act Compliance
- Loss of Coverage/Termination of Employment
- Life Insurance Conversion and Portability
- Patient Protection Notice
- CHIPRA Notice
Medical Plan Features
- Discounts available to those who participate in the UPMC Health Plan
(Refractive Eye Surgery and Healthy Living Rewards)
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
In accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, a group health plan such as the University's group health plan must give plan participants notice of their rights and the plan's legal duties with respect to protected health information (PHI) and how the plan may use and disclose PHI. Learn more »
PPACA Model Notice and Information Coming Soon.
The University of Pittsburgh Medical Plan Privacy Notice notifies The University of Pittsburgh's long standing commitment to the rights of our prospective, current, and former faculty, staff, and covered dependents concerning the privacy of their protected health information.
The Privacy Notice of the Medical and Health Plans of the University of Pittsburgh has been amended and posted as of September 20, 2013.