The Supervisor Foundation Skills (SFS) Program provides every supervisor the skills needed to successfully manage their staff. Topics include communicating effectively, coaching, delegating, and managing performance. Supervisors complete the courses online at their own pace in a designated time period, practice the skills learned, and then share the application of the skills with colleagues from across campus in a classroom setting. This program is applicable for both those new to supervision and who have supervised for some time.
- Open to supervisors who oversee a minimum of one University of Pittsburgh staff employee
- Build competence and confidence to effectively interact and manage direct reports
- Prepare supervisors to have effective conversations with staff on their performance, both positive and developmental.
- Practice and apply skills and concepts learned through online and onsite training sessions.
- Supervisors must be nominated by their manager to participate in SFS
- Two SFS programs are offered every year: Fall (Oct-Dec) and Spring (Feb-Apr).
- Each cohort is capped at 20 participants, so submit your nomination form early to ensure a place in your preferred program.
- Nomination Form: save PDF and email to firstname.lastname@example.org OR print and fax to 624-4781.
- Nominees will receive an email confirmation of acceptance into program.
- Participants must attend all onsite sessions and have completed application pieces prior to each scheduled session.
- Supervisors who complete the 10-week program will receive a certificate of completion.
Fall 2017: Please check back for program dates.
Note: The SFS program can be run for supervisors with intact departments. For more information, please contact email@example.com to discuss this option.