The primary goal of performance management is to drive organization performance. Fundamentally, an effective performance management system is an ongoing process, focused on the communication between supervisor and staff, to maximize performance of the individual, to achieve the organization goals.
An effective performance management process includes:
- Planning and discussing expectations about job responsibilities and Performance Standards
- Providing ongoing coaching and feedback to support success
- Evaluate the level of achievement of goals and demonstration of Performance Standards using the University of Pittsburgh Staff Performance Appraisal Form
Each fiscal year, it is the responsibility of University supervisors to review with staff their performance expectations and goals for the upcoming year, provide feedback and coaching throughout the year, and finally, evaluate their staff’s job performance at the end of the year. For detailed guidelines on carrying out this process, please review the Guidelines for Supervisors page.
There are three forms that support the staff performance management process.
- Annual Goals Form: can be used to help staff and their supervisors establish goals at the beginning of the appraisal year and criteria on which success may be measured at the end of the appraisal year.
- Staff Performance Appraisal Form: to be completed for each staff member by their immediate supervisor – this form is available in two formats; one to evaluate the performance of employees who supervises others, and one to evaluate the performance of employees who do not supervise others.
- The Staff Self-Appraisal Form: used by all staff as part of the end-of-the-year performance appraisal process. All of these forms are available below as editable Microsoft Word documents. Access performance management forms.
The University offers tools and resources for supervisors and staff to enhance the performance management process and to cultivate individual and organizational accomplishment.
Pitt's benefits offerings are among the region's best, including a medical plan with no deductibles, tuition remission, life insurance, optional dental and vision coverage, a contributory retirement plan, and more.