General University Policy
- The University workweek begins on Sunday at 12:01 AM and ends on Saturday at 12:00 AM (midnight)
- Established University workweek is 37.5 hours, unless otherwise approved by University leadership and documented on file by the Office of Human Resources
- All classified staff members must complete a weekly time card
- In the event of a transfer, the staff member’s accrual balances will move to the new department (via the University’s automated time and attendance system, PRISM TRKS)*
* In cases where automated time records are not maintained, the department has the responsibility of forwarding the accrual balances to the staff member’s new department.
Importance of Time Keeping
- At the end of the workweek, the supervisor and the staff member must have reviewed the weekly time card to certify the hours recorded are accurate and complete
- Weekly time cards are used for many purposes including, but not limited to: Short-Term Disability, Family Medical Leave Act, and final payment calculations upon termination from the University
Time Keeping Guidelines
Compensatory time is time off granted to non-exempt employees for hours worked between 37.5 and 40 hours during a given workweek. For all hours worked beyond 40 during a given work week, non-exempt employees must be paid overtime pay.
PRISM TRKS is the University's online Time Record Keeping System for full-time and part-time regular classified staff, Federal Work Study, Student Works, Temporary, and All-Temps employees. Learn more about the PRISM TRKS system.
Online Timecard Requirements
- Timecards must be completed online each week by the employee and submitted for approval to their supervisor
- Timecards must approved by the supervisor at 12 noon each Monday (unless otherwise announced) for all hours worked in the prior week
- For temporary staff, All Temps, and Student Employees, timecards DO NOT need to be completed if no hours were worked during the prior week
Accessing PRISM TRKS
- Go to www.my.pitt.edu
- Log in using your University log-in credentials
- Click PRISM TRKS Time on the right hand side
- Click Time Entry to create and submit a weekly timecard
Questions about your timecard can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 412-624-7000.
Additional Resources & Policies
Find information about different types of employment statuses (exempt vs. non-exempt; full- vs part-time), 12-month appointments, hire dates, provisional periods, transfers, termination dates, rehires, and more in the Employment Status for Staff Positions section of the Staff Handbook.
Learn about University salary increases, time keeping, compensatory time and overtime, reducing pay for hours not worked (docking), improper docking complaints, promotions, transfers, and more in the Wage and Salary Administration section of the Staff Handbook.
Additional Helpful Links:
Find information about sick time accrual and use of sick time, vacation time, personal time, leave programs, bereavement, jury duty, leaves of absence, military leave, and recording special and holiday time, in the Paid and Unpaid Time Off section of the Staff Handbook.