The Chancellor's Award for Staff for Excellence in Service to the University Guidelines
The Chancellor's Award for Staff for Excellence in Service to the University is the highest award that the University of Pittsburgh grants to classified and union staff members in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the University.
The University is fortunate to have staff members who demonstrate continuous, meritorious performance. However, there are those whose performance consistently exceeds the standards and expectations set for their position. This award is intended to recognize those staff members whose commitment and performance has made a significant impact on the University.
Number of Awards
Up to five (5) Awards of $2,500.00 will be granted each academic year. A permanent plaque located in the William Pitt Union will bear the names of the Award recipients. The Awards should recognize the diversity of all ranks of staff members and represent a cross section of campus responsibility centers and the regional campuses.
- Nominators should review the Eligibility Requirements and Criteria for Selection and then complete and submit the Nomination Form online.
- If eligibility is confirmed, the nominee, nominee’s supervisor and nominator will receive notice of the nomination.
- Nominees should then collect supporting information based on the Criteria for Selection and submit it to the Award Committee Chair by the deadline stated in the notice letter. Supporting information should include:
- Letters of recommendation supporting the candidate’s nomination from individuals who have utilized their services (e.g., faculty, staff, students, alumni, etc.).
- Listing of services that the candidate has performed for the University, including service on committees and task forces (i.e., process improvement teams, mapping teams, United Way, Staff Association Council, Equipoise, the Provost’s Advisory Committee on Women’s Concerns, etc.)
- The Award Committee reviews submissions and deliberates, considering the Purpose of the Award and the Criteria for Selection.
- All classified and union staff members (full and part-time) of the University are eligible.
- Nominees must be part-time or full-time staff members at the University for a minimum of five (5) years.
- A nominee’s annual review and continued performance must meet or exceed acceptable standards, and he/she must be an employee in good standing at the University with no adverse employment actions within the last 12 months.
- A staff member who was previously nominated may be re-nominated. However, supporting information must be submitted to the Committee again.
- If a nominee is a past recipient of the Chancellor’s Award for Staff for Excellence in Service to the University, he/she is not eligible to be nominated again.
Criteria for Selection
The successful candidate must satisfy some or all of the following criteria. These criteria should be addressed in recommendation letters and other supporting documentation. Recommendation letters should give specific examples of how the nominee demonstrated a consistent pattern of extraordinary dedication to the University, consistently above and beyond the responsibilities of the nominee’s position, by addressing how the nominee:
- Made exceptional contributions toward the effectiveness/efficiency in the workplace.
- Implemented one or more innovative approaches which impact productivity.
- Developed and/or implemented cost-saving plans, which enhance operation.
- Exhibited consistently excellent customer service (e.g., assuring responsive, timely and professional service).
- Demonstrated consistently positive interpersonal skills that support the diversity of the University community.
- Volunteered for and/or worked on special projects
- Served on committees and made contributions.
- Contributed to an exceptionally supportive, team-oriented environment in the workplace.
- Made special efforts to recognize excellence in others.
- Took advantage of opportunities to improve work-related skills and abilities and/or encouraged others to do likewise.
- Performed service to the University outside of the normal work environment.
In order to ensure that the nomination is an open process, any individual within the University community, including students and alumni, may nominate a staff member for an Award. Self-nominations are also allowed.
The Awards Committee is appointed by the Chancellor. The Committee consists of the following staff representatives all of whom are voting members: the President of the Staff Association Council (SAC) (or their designee); a member from the prior year's Committee; a prior year's Award recipient; a Regional Campus representative; an Office of Human Resources representative; up to four at-large members chosen by the Chancellor to reflect the diverse population of the University staff; and the Chairperson (to be appointed by the Chancellor). In addition, the Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources serves as a non-voting member.
For more information, please contact Stacey Czerniejewski at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-624-6577.