How and When to Change Benefit Selections

Status Change

A Status Change, an IRS qualified event, allows you to make a change in your enrollment elections during the plan year. Examples under the IRS regulations include: marriage, divorce, change in a spouse/partner’s employment, birth of a new baby, and death of a spouse/partner. Learn more »

Health & Welfare Plans

Health & Welfare Plans for staff and faculty generally operate on a “plan year” which runs from July 1 through June 30. These Health & Welfare Plans include: medical, dental, vision, life, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) and dependent life insurances as well as flexible spending accounts. If applicable, Short-Term and/or Long-Term Disability benefits may be included in your benefits package but are not subject to the plan year.

For those plans that are subject to the plan year, enrollments, cancellations, or changes (e.g. tier level changes, dependents covered on a policy) may only be made during the Open Enrollment period and will take effect on July 1. The only exception to make such a change outside of the Open Enrollment period is through a Status Change.

Retirement Plans

The Retirement Plans also operate on a “plan year” which runs from January 1 through December 31. The Retirement Plans include both the Defined Contribution Program (403b and 401a plans) and the Noncontributory Defined Benefit Pension Plan.

Changes to the Retirement Plans include: enrollment/suspension of participation, changes to basic and supplemental contributions, starting/stopping a supplemental account (SRA), and changes to the allocation between investment companies (see the Retirement Savings page for additional rules and regulations). Changes such as these may be made on a monthly basis. Please click on the link below for information on how to make changes to your Retirement Plan.

Changes to funds that you have invested in may be made on a daily basis. Changes such as these must be made directly through the respective investment company. Please contact either TIAA-CREF (1-800-842-2776 or or Vanguard (1-800-523-1188 or directly for further information.