Benefit Eligibility

What Benefits Am I Eligible For?

To review benefits eligibility by position type, please click here.

Coverage for Dependents

The University of Pittsburgh allows employees to have coverage for spouses, domestic partners, and children when the required documentation (listed below) is provided. Dependent children can be covered up to the age of 26. Disabled dependents can be covered beyond age 26 if additional documentation is submitted. In the event of divorce or dissolution of domestic partnership, that individual must be removed through a status change request and will be offered COBRA insurance coverage. For additional information, please refer to applicable certificates of coverage.

Documentation Requirements for Dependents

Enrollment will not be processed without all required documentation. Please note that international documents without an official English translation will not be accepted. You can submit the supporting documentation via email to (please white-out any SSNs), via fax at 412-624-3485, or via postal mail to 320 Craig Hall, 200 South Craig Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15260.

Relationship Type

Required Documentation


Marriage Certificate

 Domestic Partner1

University approved Affidavit of Domestic Partnership

 Natural Child

Birth Certificate

Adopted Child

Adoption certificate stamped by the circuit clerk

Step Child

 Birth Certificate indicating your spouse is the child's parent and marriage certificate indicating you are married to the child's parent

Child of Approved Domestic Partner

Birth Certificate indicating your domestic partner is the child's parent and the University approved Affidavit of Domestic Partnership indicating you are in a domestic partnership with the child’s parent.

Disabled Over Age Child

Eligibility will be continued past the age of 26 for dependent children who, as medically certified by a physician, are incapable of self-support due to mental or physical disability, mental illness or a developmental disability that started before age 19. Initial certification with the insurance carriers as well as an annual recertification is required. Please contact carriers with questions.

Legal Guardianship

Court documentation signed by a judge and stamped by the circuit clerk

Adjudicated Child

Judicial Support Order from a judge or a copy of Qualified Medical Support Order with the page that indicates the member must provide health insurance through the employer.

1 See for more information on Domestic Partner benefits